Advocates say they will fight to highlight the mass movement of the people of Gaza and to condemn anti-Palestinian racism in New York City
WHO: Within Our Lifetime | United for Palestine & NY4Palestine Coalition
WHAT: Rally to commemorate the one year anniversary of the Great March of Return, and condemning councilmember Kalman Yeger’s racist anti-Palestinian attacks
WHEN: March 29th, 4pm
WHERE: West 42nd street and Broadway
Within Our Lifetime | United for Palestine
New York, NY – On Friday March 29th at 4pm, Within Our Lifetime: United for Palestine and the NY4Palestine Coalition will rally on 42nd Street and Broadway. During this Palestinian-led rally we will commemorate the one year anniversary of the Great Return March in Gaza, where tens of thousands of Palestinians have been protesting every Friday since March 30, 2018, marching on the border with the occupation and demanding their right to return to their homeland. Since then over 250 Palestinians have been killed by Israeli occupation forces, and tens of thousands have been injured as they have confronted Israeli snipers at the border fence.
Advocates will also highlight and protest the racist anti-Palestinian attacks tweeted by NYC Councilman Kalman Yeger, claiming “Palestinians do not exist” all the while Israel is bombing the people of Gaza, and Donald Trump has declared the illegally annexed Golan Heights as Israeli territory.
“Councilmember Yeger’s racist attack on Palestinian communities is not just disrespectful to the community he serves but disrespectful to the countless Palestinians who march to the Gaza border and demand basic human rights and their right to return back to their homeland” said Sammy, a Palestinian student at John Jay and President of John Jay Students for Justice in Palestine. “Yeger needs to be held accountable for this now!”
Raja Abdulhaq said “Politicians who criticize Councilman Kalman Yeger's anti-Palestinian rhetoric by centering Israel are also problematic. Defending Palestinians' right to existence and self-determination through the lens of Israel's security is also anti-Palestinian.”
Within Our Lifetime, the main sponsor of the rally also issued the following statement:
“As Palestinians and their allies in the United States:
1. We call on all people of conscience to support and uplift the courageous Great March of Return in Gaza, in which over 250 Palestinians have been martyred and tens of thousands have been injured by snipers, tear gas, and live ammunition.
2. We strongly condemn and demand an immediate end to the recent Israeli military aggression and escalation in Gaza in the past week.
3. The Golan Heights is Syrian Arab land; Trump and the United States do not have the authority or legitimacy to recognize its’ illegal annexation by Israel.
4. In light of NYC Councilmember Kalman Yeger’s recent racist, anti-Palestinian attacks, we demand that he be publicly condemned by the NYC Council and removed from the New York City Council Immigration Committee immediately. We additionally demand that Yeger publicly apologize to the Palestinian community of New York City.
5. We demand an immediate end to the $3.8 billion a year in U.S. military aid to the state of Israel.”
Within Our Lifetime